Sunday, September 6, 2009

Abuse

On the same compound where I am living, there is a man with three wives and 17 children.

Last night, he came home drunk. Yelling, screaming, threatening the wives. The sound of a woman's terrified crying woke me and the rest of the compound after midnight. Angry yelling, with a few intelligible words and phrases -- “ugly,” “stupid,” “I will slap you,” “I will chop you” -- was punctuated by the sound of physical violence and the uncontrollable wailing of women and children.

Another man eventually talked the husband to a state of calm, threatening to call the police. But what threat are the police here, really? They have no arms and no real power, and likely no desire to help in a case of domestic abuse.

There is nobody here to help the helpless.

1 comment:

  1. 1. That's awful...I'm sorry for that family and for you for having to bear witness to it, even if only audibly.

    2. I'm never reading your blog first thing in the morning ever again. It's already raining and gross outside and now this. Thanks a LOT!

    Seriously though, keep it up; I know I'm not the only one who enjoys reading about what you're up to, even if it's not the most uplifting story all the time. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete