Sunday, November 1, 2009

Meta

I'm often pretty embarrassed to read back through some of the things I've written in this blog.

I tend to sit down and write entries when I'm trying to sort out my thoughts on different topics, but I'm not sure that what comes out in the end really reflects what is going on in my head, which itself may not be an accurate reflection of the reality here. Sometimes it seems like I'm trying to make it look like I know or understand more than I do, when of course the things I write are just my impressions at the time of what's going on around me. And those impressions can change very quickly with different specific experiences.

I can't help but feel that I end up sounding hopelessly naïve and trite, or else overly self-important and arrogant.

Maybe part of my feeling that way has been because I've been reading Obama's book Dreams from My Father, and he is such a beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful writer, that sometimes I feel ashamed to look back at my own pathetic writing attempts. This is, of course, a ridiculous comparison to be making, but I guess like reading his book gives me something to aspire to in terms of writing, and I feel badly when I don't live up to my own expectations.

I also feel like I tend to come across as somewhat negative, when generally, my experience here has been an extremely positive one.

Anyway. I guess it should be obvious, but just keep that in mind when you are reading through these entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment