Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thoughts on Leaving

I received a call from Peace Corps Medical yesterday. I am apparently very close to being finally medically cleared -- they are just waiting on one last set of medical records to be faxed over from Emory.

I have a lot of conflicting emotions about going right now. There is the anticipation of being able to apply the skills I learned in Peace Corps Kenya in a new setting, sadness at leaving my friends and family behind, excitement about the opportunity to do something completely different, concern and fear about safety issues (I had an awful dream in which I was in Liberia and someone was trying to break into my house -- it came after reading the section on safety issues in the Peace Corps Liberia resource handbook), relief to be leaving central Pennsylvania again (no offense, central PA), good but also nervous feelings about being in a stressful though rewarding volunteer environment, worries about being able to successfully complete the MD/PhD application process while I am there . . . and the list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment